The Egyptian Red Crescent (ERC) dispatched its 200th “Zad Al-Izza” convoy early on Wednesday, May 20,2026 carrying more than 3,585 tons of humanitarian aid, including food supplies, medical equipment, relief materials, fuel, clothing, mattresses, and tents for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, the organization said.
The convoy, comprising several aid trucks, was sent toward Gaza as part of the ERC’s role as Egypt’s national mechanism for coordinating humanitarian assistance to the enclave. The shipments included fuel needed to operate hospitals and vital facilities inside Gaza, alongside shelter materials and other essential supplies for displaced residents, the ERC said in a statement.
The organization added that it has maintained a constant presence at the border since the outbreak of the war, stressing that the Rafah crossing on the Egyptian side has never been closed. The ERC said it has continued operating across all logistics hubs and coordinating the delivery of humanitarian and relief assistance to Gaza, with total aid dispatched so far exceeding 985,000 tonnes through the efforts of more than 65,000 volunteers.
Since the outbreak of Israel’s war in Gaza in October 2023, Egypt has coordinated with the United Nations and international partners to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian assistance into the besieged territory through the Rafah and Karm Abu Salem crossings.
Meanwhile, Israeli occupation forces on Tuesday intercepted the remaining vessels of an activist flotilla attempting to challenge Israel’s naval blockade on Gaza, detaining hundreds of activists from more than 40 countries after boarding boats in international waters, according to organizers and Israeli authorities.
The flotilla sought to draw attention to worsening humanitarian conditions in the strip, where nearly two million Palestinians face severe shortages of food, medicine, shelter, and fuel. The operation triggered international criticism, with Italy, Ireland, Spain, Indonesia, Turkey, and Hamas condemning the interdictions, while activists accused Israeli forces of using excessive force during the seizures.
The incident came amid mounting concern over humanitarian access to Gaza despite Israeli claims that around 600 aid trucks are entering the enclave daily. A recent World Food Programme report, however, said aid deliveries dropped sharply in March following the escalation of regional tensions linked to the Iran war, with an average of only 112 trucks entering Gaza per day.
Israel has maintained a naval blockade on Gaza since 2007 and tightened restrictions after 7 October 2023. Critics, including humanitarian groups and activists, say the blockade amounts to collective punishment. Gaza’s health ministry says more than 72,700 people have been killed since the start of Israel’s military campaign in the strip.